Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Nirbhaya here, A Nirbhaya there



Surrounded by the hungry wolves, I am afraid to walk down the lane,
Please don’t touch me, I am just a human, but my requests fall in vain.

I was taught to be kind, gentle and sweet,
Was it because there were hungry wolves longing to eat?

I love to play on swings and roam in park,
But my parents don’t allow me after dark.

I love to dress up the way I like and have fun singing in the night,
But I refrain from my desires to not catch an ugly sight.
I never thought my father, my neighbor would rip me apart,
Did they not remember they lived in my heart?

The moment I entered the world, I was lucky to be born alive,
To have parents who loved a son and daughter alike.

I love to fly aeroplanes and striking goals in football,
Then why teaching is only career choice of my parents after all?
I wish to marry my love one day,
But why they say our caste comes into play?

Why my parents ask me to leave home one day,
Being a girl I am made to pay.
Why my in-laws call me outsider and my parents an outlander,
Making me feel like a homeless refugee punished for my gender.

Give me love and some share of your care,
And I will keep away your life from despair?  
I am the creator of life, your daughter, your wife,
All I want you is to shield me from all strife. 

7 comments:

  1. just beautiful...heart touching words ruchi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happened to peruse bec of Pritish Nandi RT. Had to read more than once . It is compelling and both heart warming and crushing. Anguish, helplessness, similar to that of a beautiful flower blooming only to be plucked away to be used for Lord Krishna pooja , or just crushed cruelly and tastelessly. But for woman, men would have destroyed society aeons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT IS LIKE THE CRY OF THE NIGHTINGALE.

    Problem since Mahabharat days. Cowards attack weak and helpless for their Ego. After that they go crouching to terrorists. This is the common failing of the majority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful narration, touched..

    ReplyDelete